Friday, August 17, 2007

I killed a patient.......again..

i keep killing patients!!
not literally killing la..
i need to think further.
its not all about the drug, and the side effect, and the CMIs, and the lifestyle diet smoking alcohol bla bla bla...
being a pharmacist is somewhat like being an FBI agent..
the amount of investigation we need to do to solve problems and dig out hidden issues which are not noticed never fails to amaze me.

take today for an example.
i was having my counselling session with david smith (my super strict tutor)
and yea he plays the role of some guy with hypertension.
and so i do my thing and counsel him on this and that and blurt out everything i know about his medications.
and then he goes " oh by the way, i need some mylanta as well"
and so i KNEW there was some trick behind it..but i just couldn't figure our what it was!
and so i just all my typical questions.. have u used it before, what for, bla bla bla..
and i thought alright maybe there was no trick behind it.. or maybe it would be a lil issue like reduced abosrbption in the gut or so..
and at the end of it all, my groupmates (lenny and huang) mentioned that they thought i handled the mylanta pretty well..
and then my tutor explains that my patient could have walked out of my pharmacy and died!
why?
coz he was taking mylanta.. and claimed it was for heartburn.

and then it struck me.

heartburn?
how does HE know its heartburn?
who told him so?
did he just assume it was heartburn?
if it was heartburn, why did it happen when he walked a long distance???

and yes, bingo.

HE HAD ANGINA ATTACKS!!!
which he thought was heartburn.
and pharmacist shaleeni have him mylanta for his angina!!

argh!

and then david goes : its alright, its only the fourth death i had this morning anyway...the pharmacy profession is in good shape!!!

haha
he's so funny.

oh well, i hope i don't kill anymore patients in the near future!

No comments: